Sunday, May 31, 2020

Being Weighed Down


“If you want to fly, you have to give up the things that weigh you down.” – Roy Bennett

Yesterday, neighbor Andy cleaned the back yard going down to the brook. There were new growths, fallen debris, and stubs from plants and trees cut last year. Too many trip hazards which made it treacherous for me to venture down there easily.  Now it’s all cleaned up, and he even made it so he can mow to keep the vegetation down. It looks so beautiful and inviting!

I sit here admiring the view when I look up and it makes me happy. My little oasis with the brook flowing along the back, and out front, my gorgeous flower gardens. The cardinals, orioles, catbirds, and many other birds visit the feeders (which I only put up when I’m sitting here, and I put them away every night). I love most birds.

Today’s Eric Rhoads’ blog contained the quote above and once again, someone else’s words stirs my soul and brings tears to my eyes. Something about this quote strikes me deep, and the question comes to mind: What weighs me down?

First reaction in delving into this is fear. The subject might be more than I am willing to face at this time, and once that door is open, I really wouldn’t want to shut it again.
What will I have to admit to myself if I open that door? Am I willing to explore that path? Will I act on my discoveries or just lay them aside for some other day?

And where else might this journey take me? Am I willing to go? What will change within me if I dive into this ocean? Or maybe I should be asking, “Where might I fly off to?”

The other side of my brain kicks in with all I need to do. This work, and it is work, will take me away from what I need to be doing today. There’s editing work to finish, I have unfinished projects to do, paintings to complete. Even taking the time to write this is taking me away from must-do work.

But I’ve written the quote down and, hopefully, I will explore that which weighs me down.


No comments:

Post a Comment