Tuesday, May 12, 2020

To Do or Not Do an Underpainting


I sat at my computer this morning distracted by the shades of green popping outside. It was like a treasure hunt as my eyes searched between, beyond, and around the evergreen of hemlock boughs. Sunnier areas out back offered up greening grasses in an area not tree-covered, and the shadowed areas are sprouting the various forest-growth ground covers.

"Angel Pose" in process
I bounced back and forth between working on the gardening project and wanting to work on the latest paintings. (Yes, paintings with an S because I have two in process.) But, it’s that time of year when gardening is the stronger call – before it gets too hot and buggy.

After updating all my to-do lists (I have them categorized), I started on another piece of the gardening project which required a look-see at that particular garden. Unfortunately, I’m waiting for a phone call, so I went in the studio instead.

I’ve been debating for days whether to try an alcohol wash underpainting. Pastel artists often talk about underpaintings and the techniques and materials they use. I usually do pan pastels, but in reading and hearing comments about using an alcohol wash, I’m considering trying it.

Today I looked for my rubbing alcohol … I haven’t touched it in years and couldn’t find it in the closet with bathroom essentials. I did find odorless mineral spirits in my art supply closet, though, which is another option.

But I’m leery. I pulled out “Pastel Pointers” by Richard McKinley and read what he had to say. I went online and Googled, “What is the purpose for underpainting with pastel” and couldn’t find a direct answer. Which once more leads me to believe it’s just what individual artists choose to do or been trained to do.

"Winding Through Autumn" in process
I know paper plays a part in it and I use a smooth BFK Rives print making paper. I don’t like a lot of tooth and I prefer smooth-looking strokes. But there’s something about the blending of a wash that seems intriguing. I don’t know if I’ll attempt it on one of my paintings in process, but I may pull out an old gave-up-on painting and practice on that.

However, I’m not much into practice. I just want to get in there and do. So, time will tell what I decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment