Friday, May 15, 2020

Inspiration for a New Painting


May 14
I immediately fell in love with a photo Susan Nye posted on FaceBook. Something about it touched my soul, called to me. I messaged Susan, and she graciously gave permission to use the photo.

For once, I came up with a title right off the bat: “Pleasant Foggy Morning” and I even assigned it an inventory number, 20-010 (which I don’t normally do until I get the paper on the easel.) Inspiration photo courtesy of Susan Nye.

I love fog scenes and reflections. There’s something mystical and magical about fog, especially when the sun is breaking through. I quickly downloaded it into my pictures, edited it, and printed a couple copies. Printed on plain paper, the picture loses vibrancy which I plan to make up for with pastels.

I made a few initial notes. For one, I feel the sunlight on the water is too glaring like that part of the photo is overexposed. I’ll tone that down. Another challenge will be the boat. Man-made objects are not my forte, but I’m sure I can figure it out, and more notes will be made as I go along.

I so wanted to jump on it right away but had too many other things to do (not counting finishing the two paintings in process.) Later, while watching TV, I attempted an initial sketch, but I needed to see more detail … I don’t know how much will go into the painting itself, but a little more detail will help me see which direction to take.

May 15
This morning I got up feeling excited and honored to receive permission to use someone else’s photo for inspiration. I always wanted to use my own photos for inspiration, to have my work be totally by me. But now, because I don’t go out a lot, if I see pictures of beautiful scenes I can never get – like sunrises, sunsets, foggy mornings – I have to change my thinking. There’s nothing wrong with asking for permission – and I’d never do from someone else’s photo without receiving their OK.

So much of art is done in solitude, even more so in these days of social distancing. Maybe that’s why I suddenly feel happy having my attention so captivated by someone else’s photo. It feels like a collaboration, although the emotions stirring within are totally mine alone.

This photo calls to my soul and touches something deep within. I’m not sure what that is yet, but I’m sure as I get into the painting, something will come out of it. There’s sunlight, mountains, trees, water, fog, shack near the point, pier … and that sailboat and its reflection! What is it about that boat?

I am pleased to be able to say the photo is used due to the gracious courtesy of so and so. I’m evolving with my work and I’m enjoying working with other people’s photos. This is the fifth painting I will have done using someone else’s photo for inspiration. I hope I do them honor with my finished pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment