Friday, May 1, 2020

Getting Inspired Again


I read more in the latest Pastel Journal last night. I enjoy looking at other people’s paintings even when their styles are so different than mine. I almost always pick up a couple of tips whenever I read something of the art world.

I heard a new-to-me term – one- and two-point perspectives. Well, I knew about a one-point ... so, this morning I looked it up, copied, and printed some info to go over. Maybe it was a good thing I didn't make new drawings yesterday. Maybe I can apply new knowledge.

It's funny (or is it?), but when I settle in to draw, I'm looking at the photo and thinking about capturing what's there. At that moment, I'm not consciously thinking about perspective or composition, shapes within shapes (another term they talk about), or light. My focus is on drawing what I see and/or perhaps making a few adjustments as feels right for a better composition.

I don’t do a lot of planning ahead of time. I choose scenes that speak to me. I don’t even think about why the scene calls me in the beginning; I just know I want to paint it. I’m not necessarily focused on any one focal point, it’s usually the overall scene, colors, textures, etc.

Scenes that speak to me may include times when I will photograph a scene knowing it’s not good as a photograph, but with some adjustments, I can turn it into a beautiful painting. I have no problem with taking artistic license to add or subtract objects.

Photo editing often involves cropping for better composition, so by the time I get to the initial sketching before painting, I am ready to just draw. And, once I get into drawing and painting, I'm not thinking about any of this technical artsy stuff. I'm just focused on getting the scene on a bigger piece of paper. It’s after that, I start getting into the nitty gritty.

There’s always a part of me wanting to do things my way, in my style. I’ll admit, I’m not into practicing. I’m not into long planning and following all kinds of guidelines and rules. When I’m ready to draw and paint, I want to get right to it.

For the most part, all these years, I’ve done well. I’m pleased with what I’ve accomplished. But I always know I can be better, evolve, so I do pick up tips I’m willing to try (or I write them down then never get around to doing it as I often fall back on what’s familiar.)

Living a creative wholehearted life means knowing it is OK not to feel I have to do it like other artists. I AM OK doing it MY way! After all, I am an artist and to me, that means I CAN do it my way.

Living wholeheartedly means letting myself fully enjoy being an artist which includes the struggles along with the successes. Living creatively means I will continue to grow and evolve with my paintings.

And realizing this, writing about this, fires me up! Time to get the new sketches started.

No comments:

Post a Comment