Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Getting Closer to the Finish

 “Snowy Ridge Trail,” 9 ½ x 15 ¾ pastel painting. Original photo reference courtesy Corey Sheehan.

January 25: Two stints in the studio today. Work continues on refining details and adding more to the scene. One of my problems is putting in too many layers too soon. Then it’s harder to add details.

Today I also experimented with using more pink. Part of me is almost wanting to start over.

The second time in the studio, I added more to the trees and played around with even more color on the ridge and trying to better define the shape. 

Then while editing the progress photo, I wondered about cropping a bit off the lower portion. 

I’ll have to look at the actual painting and move the tape up to see if I really like the cropped version better. It brings the mountains closer and I’m wondering if I need to blur/soften the distant ones… except the photo isn’t blurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment