Sunday, January 30, 2022

Do I Give Up and Start Over?

"Snowy Ridge Trail," 9 1/2 x 15 3/4 pastel painting

Original photo reference courtesy: Corey Sheehan 

January 29: Half hour in the studio working on this. Part of me wants to give up, but I keep pushing along. Too many layers. I can’t make the sharp lines I want to make. I tried various pastels.

I worked the trees more. The colors I want to use are too hard to go over the softer layers. I resorted to soft pastels in other shades of green.

In the end, I got out black in different pastel brands and a charcoal pencil.

I was so tempted to quit and considered doing the entire thing all over, but I kept working at it. When I got too frustrated and got up to walk away, I realized it doesn’t look so bad once I stepped back a couple feet.

I am making progress. I'm still debating taking half to an inch off the bottom to shorten the height.

No comments:

Post a Comment