Friday, January 14, 2022

Beginning the First Pastel Painting of 2022

 Snowy Ridge Trail 

January 14: I did something totally different today and taped a piece of BFK Rives on the standup easel and measured it at 9 ½ x 15 ¾. Using a charcoal pencil, I began sketching the foreground ridge. I played around trying to get it right.

I moved the painting to the DT easel, so I could sit to work on the foreground. I need to put my face closer to see what I’m doing. No, I’m not really doing detail yet, but I want to get the shapes and perspective right. I used a hard charcoal pencil for the ridge lines and the line of trees which helped give it the beginning of depth. Thought I did OK. Once again, I find putting in some foreground work helps me see the how the entire composition is looking.

I started getting the mountain tops drawn in. So far so good. Then I tried to find the right color pan pastel to start laying in some color. Too blue, too gray, not quite right, and when the pans didn’t “pan out” (pun intended), I tried Mount Vision, Diane Townsend, and Sennelier. I don’t have the right color blue, but I kept at it laying in some beginning color. But what I discovered is using the hard charcoal pencil doesn’t wipe away when I rub the mountain colors over the treetops. Hmmm, good to know… however, this means I need to hard erase any mistakes.

I’m really experimenting here trying to go at the painting from a different perspective than usual. I thought I was doing OK, until I edited the two progress photos. Oh, no! I’ve got the ridgeline too high on the page in spite of making a note to watch out for that. (‘Course, when I start working, I never remember to review my notes, ha-ha.)

I scooted back in the studio, erased lines and moved the ridge lower. I didn’t take a new progress photo. And now I just realized I didn’t print

Funny I can have all this intent, but the minute I get in the studio and start working, I totally forget my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment