Friday, January 21, 2022

A Challenging Section

Snowy Ridge Trail, 9 1/2 x 15 3/4 pastel painting

January 21: While doing some morning work, I opened photos and again cropped a section of the original photo to better see what was going on with the pine trees. I studied it as it seems the bigger tree, which has had part of it broken off, still had part of the trunk extending upward and twisting. It’s hard to see because there’s a lot of pine branches and needles covering that area. I did some little sketches on a scrap piece of paper and in my journal.

Forty-five minutes in the studio had me again adding to the sky, attempting to improve the mist and mountain textures, but my intent was to fix how I saw the closest tree on the left side. However, that not only turned into working on the tree, but also working the shape of the ridge again. It’s a tricky section to get right. I’ve been fighting with this since day one and it’s still not right.

No comments:

Post a Comment