Thursday, July 29, 2021

Asking Myself I Write and Paint

"Morning Mist on the River," 14 x 10 1/2 pastel painting on BFK Rives paper. Original photo reference: Jackie Stetser

Feeling a bit duh mentally, I scrolled through FB looking for some spark. Once in a while, I read something to ignite my creativity, whether it’s something someone says, or I see a beautiful picture. Most days, though, it’s just a mindless look-see.

This morning, it wasn’t until I checked my email messages and read one from Eric Rhoads, art publisher, that inspiration ignited in me. He talked about “WHY” (yes, in quotes and all caps). He asked, “Why do I want to get better … and why does it matter?” He said, “’Why’ drives your commitment.”

There was something about his statements that rang true within me, but I wasn’t sure where thinking about this would take me. I haven’t been stuck lately with my art. I’ve been on fire, although this morning, the pull is a bit lackluster.

So, let me start with why. Why do I write? Why do I paint?

Well, the writing is easy. It’s the same old saying I’ve had for myself for over 35 years: “If I didn’t write, I’d die, go crazy, or worse.” And this feeling still holds true today. Writing lets me talk out things when there’s no one to talk to. Writing saves me … emotionally.

Painting, on the other hand, is different. Painting is more physical. OK, writing, too, has some physicality to it in that my hands and brain are working, but painting encompasses more. I stand, I sit, I move back and forth, move across the room to choose pastels if I don’t have the right colors at hand. I walk away, come back.

Painting with pastels lets me get my hands in it. It’s not just using tools to create the painting; I use my fingers to smooth and blend.  I touch the paper, touch the colors. My eyes take the brain into the scene. My entire being gets involved and I’m consumed in those moment – even if it’s just a short 15-20-minute stint in the studio.

But that’s not the only “WHY.” It’s also about sharing the beauty, whether it’s from photos I’ve taken, or scenes others have taken and given me permission to use for inspiration. I feel part of my “job” as an artist is to share beauty (and yes, hope to sell the paintings).

Pastel painting brings me joy. Even on days when my progress isn’t up to par with what I envision, I still love what I do. Yes, I go through periods when the creative flame is mere coals, but then a breeze hits and the flames roar again.

I am not one who is out in the community/world doing noticeable goodwill. I am too much a recluse, so being able to share my beautiful paintings is my way of giving back; my way of doing something good. I am grateful and feel blessed to have this opportunity to create and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment