Saturday, July 24, 2021

An End Struggle and a Decision to do New

 

“In Foggy Sunlight,” 9 ¾ x 14 on BFK Rives paper using various pastels

I so wanted to do a good job with this painting, and it’s driving me crazy because I can’t pull it off to how I want it to look. Looking at the original photograph, taken by my friend, Toni Syrmopoulos, who gave her permission for me to use as a reference, the scene looks to be something fun to do.

I started it in August 2020 and called it done/gave up in October. Then on July 4, 2021, I put it back on the easel and for the past couple weeks, I’ve been picking at it. One minute I like how it’s going and the next, I’m frustrated as all heck.

There’s something about this scene that’s calling me, though. Every time I look at the original reference photo, I’m drawn in, and today, July 24, I am seeing all kinds of potential and shapes and dimensions and such that didn’t stand out to me before.

This current painting has been worked too much. To keep working on it, just makes it look muddy. I’ve decided I’m going to totally re-do the scene in a new painting. I can’t help it, I have to do it again, and do a better job. I re-edited the original photo to get a better print… and it is better.  

The updated version of the photo I want to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment