Monday, July 5, 2021

Having a Dilemma with my Work

Yesterday, I’d put three older finished-but-not-totally-happy-with-the work paintings back on the easel, one at a time, to touch up and add vibrancy. My paintings tend to be on the dark side and my goal is to add brightness to my work. Later, when I compared all three progress photos to the last photos taken, I liked the older version better. (Where’s the undo button in painting?)

So, I’m having a dilemma. I’m not an impressionist. I like defined lines. Yes, from a distance the paintings look beautiful, but if I’m not liking what I see… Thing is, I like these scenes and the basics of the paintings. I don’t want to start them anew. There’s something pulling me not to abandon these.

This one is Winding Through Autumn, 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 on BFK Rives paper using various pastels. The first photo is the older version and the photo below is the updated version. (Yes, I know I have to fix the cloud reflection in the water.)  (Please forgive spacing. I can't seem to get the photos to position correctly, then put in the text.)

However, in my goal to make lighter, brighter paintings, do I need to see things differently? I have so many question and don't quite know how to find the right words.


This one is "In Foggy Sunlight" and it's on 10 1/2 x 14 BFK Rives paper and again using various pastels. I like that I made the trees stand out better, but I'm so struggling with the sunlight. I like it better in the previous progress photo.


The third painting is "Stretch of Autumn" on 8 3/4 x 14 1/2 BFK Rives paper using various pastels.

I made it brighter, but do I like it? It needs more work. 

I prefer some sharper lines and when I get too many layers, it's near impossible to sharpen up some areas, and then I tend to overwork making things muddy.


I'm not ready to give up. I'm thinking maybe if I put them on the drafting table easel where I can sit to work, I may be able to fix them all.

Oh, I can doubt myself horribly in some things... like in seeing and usually working darker. I like the darker, but it doesn't show up well.

Yes, there is that viewing art from a distance, and I do like my paintings when seen from 3-5 feet away, but I still want sharper lines.

I am determined to do my own style/technique and find my own way. It's definitely part of my life journey.

It's funny, I have many reference photos to do new paintings, but these are calling me to make them better. And I want to. Sometimes the self-doubts and self-questioning become stumbling blocks. I have to push past that.






No comments:

Post a Comment