Sunday, July 4, 2021

Multiple Projects in the Studio

 

My first goal in the studio today was to finish (maybe) “Echinacea Tall.” I say “maybe” because after I look at it awhile, I’ll probably see things to fix. At the moment, I’m calling it done and can now change it from WIP 7 to 21-004. Heavens, this is only the fourth one I’ve finished this year!

Then today’s work turned odd. I’d been thinking for a few days about pulling unframed paintings from the doors where I had them hanging and adding some vibrancy to them. I planned to start with the Pele one, but instead pulled “Stretch of Autumn” and taped it to the stand-up easel. I added more color to the sky, trees, and grasses.

Unfortunately, the sky is muddy from where I overworked it before, and I don’t have the clarity I prefer. However, stepping back and seeing it from a distance, it’s lovely.

Next, I took down “After the Storm,” which I’d done last year, and taped that to the easel. This one I’d periodically rub a finger to smooth out the sunlight as it hung on the door. The sun’s rays had given me problems from the get-go. I thought, maybe, I could fix it.


I added bright color to the trees, but the sunlight again was my downfall, and now that I’ve added the new progress photo to the timeline, I actually like the previous photo when I initially called it finished. Uh, oh, where’s the undo button?

I still have hope for this. I should be able to do it.

The third old painting I worked on was “Winding Through Autumn.” This was another where I’d overworked the sky and today, after adding my color to brighten it up, I messed up the cloud reflections.

What’s this telling me? When I call a painting done/give up, should I just move on and never try to fix it? Maybe instead of trying to repair a not-so-good painting, would I be better off doing an entirely new painting if I like the scene?

I’m trying not to be discouraged. It’s all about learning. There’s always trial and error, that’s how you grow and get better.

And they almost always look good when viewing from a distance of at least 3 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment