Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Struggle of Deciding on a Title – Again

The permission to use this photo came from Wanda Santti in June. In July, I finally started to work on this scene setting it up to be painted, its working title, “Breaking Dawn.”

However, a few weeks into working, I realized I’ve already used that title before, and I don’t want to repeat. I’ve now spent three days playing with words to come up with a fitting title. I’ve tried: In Dawn’s Calming Stillness, Dawn’s Tranquil Light, Vibrant Dawn o’er a Tranquil Valley, Dawn Bursts o’er a Tranquil Valley, Light on a Tranquil Dawn, Explosive Dawn, and Tranquil Valley. Not one of them feels even close to being right.

I work on another project, then the painting calls to me. Should I let myself get upset because I allow myself to easily get sidetracked? I return to the current work, but if I get an idea or a thought comes to me, if I don’t stop to write it down or work on it, it slips away and I totally forget about it, or I can’t recall it when I’m ready to shift gears. So, the interruptions continue to happen.

Yes, it can be frustrating. When there are too many interruptions and distractions, I get confused and lose my way. Where was I? What was I doing? It’s also why it takes so long to finish one project because I’m bouncing around like bees to flowers.

But does that have to be a bad thing? I like that my brain gets ideas. I don’t get so focused and not see other options. Also, doesn’t it show I have a highly active working brain?

I also know there are times when I just have to wait for the right words to come. I can’t force it; that just runs my brain in circles which I’ve definitely been doing. Maybe that’s why after stirring the pot the last couple days, this morning’s calmness allowed the right words to come in: “Softly Comes the Dawn.”

Of course, then my brain immediately jumps to, “Is that what I’ll still feel when I finish the painting?” Wait and see.

Current progress on the painting.

1 comment: