Thursday, March 18, 2021

Starting Another Pastel Painting

 

"Waiting for Attention," 8 1/2 x 12 inches on black Colourfix paper using various pastels. Back in November, I originally did a light tracing to get the general shape and eye placements. 

What drew me: The look in her eyes I haven’t yet found words to describe. Her little face pulls my heartstrings. I just want to scoop her up and cuddle her. I’m drawn to the glint in her eyes, the roundness of the pupil and iris. Her face is so full of expressions sometimes.

After a couple days of not feeling well, I wanted to paint, and decided to tackle this Pele painting. I taped the paper to the drafting table and sat to work.

For once I started with the focal point – her face – with white Rembrandt, then a black CarbOthello pencil, white, green, and a rusty color.

The eyes are a challenge. Even with a sharpened pencil, sometimes I struggle to know exactly where the point is when I touch it to the paper. And, looking at the inspiration photo, doesn’t make it easy.

How can I trace a few outlines and still not have the composition right? Will it fill out once I get all the fur done? I’ve already made the ears smaller, and they still look too big.

The black background of the paper needed some texture, so I used black Sennelier and pan pastels to add layers. I’m not quite sure yet what I want to do with the background.

Next I added black, gray, and some rust-color to her body. I’ll need to do a lot more body work before I finish the face. I only hope I can create that pointy-look face of hers.

I’m still not sure about working on papers with a rough surface. The pastel eats up and just falls off.

This is the photo I'm using for inspiration: 




No comments:

Post a Comment