Friday, December 27, 2019

Another Learning Curve


Good Morning, Everyone,

I’m trying something different with my blogs. Sometimes the words seem to come more easily when I “talk” to someone. So, I’m trying this one like an old- fashioned letter or an email.

The water in the brook gushes down over the smaller rocks between ice canyons formed on the tops and sides of the big boulders. In areas where the brook terrain flattens out a bit, the water flows under ice shelves extending outward from the banking. Ice on the bigger rocks in the middle look like alien life forms or irregularly shaped flying saucers. I keep expecting to see them moving upriver … but of course, they’re really rocks and are stationary.

In between planning 2020 updates to my website, I want to keep painting. Yesterday’s art endeavor was using a tracer/projector for the first time. I bought it because in sketching my initial lines on a bigger paper freehand, I don’t always get the perspectives correct. I figured if I can get a few of those first lines and bigger shapes onto the paper, there will be less frustration of getting partway into the painting and realizing I have the perspectives off (which happens often no matter how many times I stand back and look and causing me to wipe down and/or erase.) Tracing will also let me enjoy the painting and work I like to do.

The afternoon seemed a dark enough day, but this didn’t make the attempt easy. I struggled to get the photo to line up straight under the tracer. I struggled to get the tracer to project the image onto the easel board … let alone getting a clear image.

Then I realized the entire image didn’t project which meant having to do it in two steps. And that meant having to go through the whole process of trying to get the new image sections to line up with what was already there. Arrghh!

It was messy. It wasn’t perfect, but I have the beginnings of four paintings started. That’s exciting. It doesn’t have to be perfect because I’ll fix it all up as I paint. The next step is to figure out which one to work on first. I can’t wait to get in the studio this afternoon!

Enjoy the day, my friends,

Sasha

No comments:

Post a Comment