Sunday, February 7, 2021

Update on "River Sunset" pastel painting

I was busy the last few days and didn’t get in the studio. I slipped in after lunch wondering if this would be the day I’d finish.

I worked a bit on the trees and touching up the distance, then I tackled more of the bush in the front. I played around with a couple different colors for the leaves … not exactly matching the photo but making them so they stand out. I love how it created distance.

 I also added brighter colors to the right-hand tree foliage and re-defined branches. Then I began tackling the rocks. That funky-shaped rock in front of the bush is difficult. I had trouble with the edges of the pastels. There are too many layers now to allow for good pastel pencil work.

It was hard working detail that low on the painting. I did something I’ve never done before – I pulled the stool out from under the table and sat down. Of course, this put my face closer to the pastel dust. I wasn’t wearing a mask nor did I have the fan on.

But the work went OK, not perfect, but I’m not going to complain. I worked mostly with black and gray for the rocks, then used fall colors and some green to add more vegetation. I used some white to highlight the water.

This might be one of my favorite paintings ever! Next time, I’ll finish with some touch ups and, hopefully, feel ready to sign it.

Thank you, Megan Fowler, for the inspiration photo.

"River Sunset" on 13 1/2 x 10 BFK Rives paper using a variety of pastels. 

Today's progress here to compare to the last work done on Thursday below..





No comments:

Post a Comment