Sunday, February 21, 2021

Heartfelt Conversations from Two Different Views

Carol and I have been having deep conversations lately on a topic that is not often openly talked about because there are so many sides and beliefs – especially these days when people easily take offense.

Religion can be a tough subject. I’d gone to church off and on as a kid, was very involved in my younger adult life years… then wasn’t. I had too many questions, too many aspects of church that seemed illogical. I got turned off by what I saw as “man-made religions” and too often saw things go on that seemed to be against everything I believed “should be” God-like. I studied other beliefs, and in the end, developed my own spirituality. But this is me. 

Carol grew up in the Catholic faith, so we have totally different points of view and beliefs. Yet, what is most fascinating is we can talk openly and honestly with each other without the other getting frustrated of taking offense. There is not even a hint of, “How can you believe that?”

Our conversations are not a debate with one side trying to prove the other wrong. There is no right or wrong here. It’s about respecting each other’s beliefs. I listen to her talk about aspects of the more formal religion and rituals. I hear her question her religion and give honest and supportive feedback. She asks me about the few times I’ve seen ghosts or spirits and listens to my stories with interest and curiosity. We may not always agree, but it’s so refreshing to be able to talk freely, and we really listen to what each other is saying.

How awesome that I can share my beliefs with someone who doesn’t have the same views. It’s not about judgement. It’s sharing our stories and learning about who we are. I don’t try to make her see things my way, nor does she force her views on me.

Am I going to turn into a Christian? No, and I don’t have to. Nor do I expect her to change her beliefs. But that doesn’t mean I can’t listen and give supportive feedback. The same goes for her.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if there could be more conversations like this – with other topics.

 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment