Thursday, October 1, 2020

Getting Ready for a New Painting

 

September 28

Yesterday, Megan gave me permission to use her photo for a painting. I edited the photo and this morning printed four 5 x 7s: original, black and white, color lighter so I can see more detail, and a section cropped to better see an area.

(original photo)

I divided the printed photo into quadrants to help with the layout. Once again, I have a photo with the horizon line right in the middle, so I decided to crop 1 ½ inches from the bottom to do the preliminary bottom and printed.

I got out the sketch book and did an initial sketch in pencil. There are sections I can’t see clearly even when looking at a cropped section – because that distant area is a bit blurry and cropping the photo makes it more so.

I moved the foreground tree more left and included more rocks and bushes. I made notes as to what I need to do. I printed an 8 x 10 of the original after debating whether it’s necessary, but as long as I print on regular copy paper, I’m never going to get the clarity that shows on the computer.

I finished the sketch and took a photo, but I keep touching it up as I study the original photo more. I’ve decided I like the original extra foreground, so now I’m wondering about taking an inch off the sky, so the horizon line isn’t in the middle. However, I like how the upper branches of trees kind of frames the sky. Oh, these dilemmas. 

Now the question is whether to move on to doing the initial layout on BFK Rives or should try the new black background Colourfix paper. Or should I go in the studio and finish the ones currently on the easels?

 What makes it hard to see some of the contour of land and river are the trees and bushes in front. I need to get that contour right before putting in those trees, bushes, rocks, and grass. Because I printed the photos at 5 x 7, I’m running out of room to make notes. Now I’ve resorted to writing notes on scrap paper. So many things to consider.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment