Sunday, February 19, 2023

On Being Old 2: The Need for Simplicity and Consistency

Another thing I’m coming to realize about being older is the necessity for simplicity and consistency. I find these days I easily get confused when forms are complicated with a lot of reading involved. Trying to decipher directions can often be confusing (like directions on how to put things together. How often is it almost impossible to follow those?) Of course, those writing the directions understand them.

I remember years ago my husband and I trying to assemble a TV/stereo cabinet. We finally had to throw the directions aside and figure it out on our own.

Then there’s what I call my BS meter. My brain totally shuts down with frustration when I feel I’m being forced to do something that doesn’t make sense. Or having to repeat – like every time when I go to the dentist having to fill out the same forms. “Nothing changed since the last time I was here. Why do I have to do this again?”

Or, at the doctor’s when they make you fill out a form, then you get in the office, you’re asked the same questions you just filled out on the form. (One reason I haven’t been to a doctor in 30 years. Wow, has it been that long? Yes.)

This past week was dealing with some income tax issues and I spent three days in tears. I was so confused when the accountant sent me a multiple page IRS directive with a form to fill out which I’d never seen. Isn’t that why I pay an accountant? To do these things for me?

They set up all these programs for seniors … what about just making things less complicated? Simplicity and consistency will help a lot. 

Another Letter to the Editor published in the InterTown Record


No comments:

Post a Comment