Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Journey in Pastel Painting: three more days' work

April 11: I changed title from “Towards Misty Mountains” to “Lost to the Misty Mountains.” The new title gives it more emotion. Then, I spent  another hour in the studio working sky and mountains. I tried different colors. I took a soft charcoal pencil and worked lines. Not as satisfied today, but when I step away, it doesn’t look bad… as long as I’m not comparing to the photo.

I think part of my problem is I made the mountains too big. And the trouble with opening the photo full screen on the computer, I can see nuances which I can’t figure out how to put in the painting… not that that matters because no one will really know unless they’re comparing the painting to the original photo. I didn't take a progress photo.

April 12: Tried adding some white to create mist and fade the mountains. I don’t know if I’m getting it right. Then again, it doesn’t have to look exactly like the photo. I used a soft charcoal pencil to define some shapes. I’m in a dunno stage. 

April 13: Another hour in the studio. I again worked with color of the mountains and the mist. The photo is so vibrant, but I know I can’t have that for the painting. The distance needs to be softer and faded. I used a Mount Vision for the mist. Still not sure about the mist. I need to make it fluffier.

I spent most the time working the horizon line, trees and foliage. I also began adding some depth/darkness and color to other trees to get a start on setting the stage for along the river. This helps me see if the depth of the distance. I need to fade it more to give it that distant feel. It will come together.




No comments:

Post a Comment