Sunday, April 10, 2022

Journey in Pastel Painting 22-005; Starting the Pastel Work

April 10: While doing morning pages and writing about yesterday’s work, more ideas and thoughts came to me. I cropped the original photo into thirds (left, middle, right) to let me see more detail. I printed each as 5x7 image size and made notes and with a black pen, defined shapes that are somewhat otherwise more subtle... but I still need to be able to see them and put the detail in the painting. (I should have done this before starting the drawings.)

Later, I Spent 1.20 hours in the studio. I put pan pastel on the sky, mountains, trees, and water. 

Then I moved the paper and photos to the DT easel to do sitting work. But as I worked the sky with Sennelier and Mount Vision pastels, I realized I shouldn’t put color into the trees until I do the sky as it’s difficult to keep the green out of the sky as I blend.


Also, I once again had trouble getting the right color. I went back and forth to the pastel trays a few times searching for colors that will work. As usual, I have to do my own thing. In the end, it’ll work out.

I worked and worked the sky. I gave up trying to make it look like the reference photo and worked at making the sky dramatic and realistic.  Mostly I only worked the left side to the edge of the right-hand trees, and, of course, once I put the treetops and mountains in, that will help.

I was actually surprised when I stood up to quit and realized the sky doesn’t look too bad. Yes, there’s still work to do.

The challenge now will be getting the clouds on the mountain tops and the mountains themselves in and looking good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment