Saturday, February 12, 2022

Can you say “Thank you” or “I’m sorry” too much?

These two phrases, while absolutely necessary and important and needs to be said often, can lose their meaning if you say it all the time. When does it began to sound like a brush-off if said too much? After a while, does it just sound like a couple of words with no real feeling behind it?

And if you’re apologizing all the time, does that mean you are always doing something wrong that needs an apology? Do the words, “I’m sorry,” become an excuse to continue wrong behavior?

And can “thank you” be said too much? If you hear it all the time, does it get tiring? After a while, does it just sound like two words rolling off someone’s tongue with no real emotion behind it? Almost like an automatic response.

Like when asked how you are and you automatically respond, “Fine,” whether you really are or not… because, often, the question is said as a greeting, and the person saying it really doesn’t want to hear how you are truly feeling?

This makes me think about my questions and responses. I always want to be polite and respectful. I say, “Thank you,” “Excuse me,” and “I’m sorry” a lot. I ask people how they are – and when I ask, I really do want to know how they are. I don’t want a brush off response. (Of course, that’s up to them, too.)

In some respects, this is not an easy topic. There are always the first responses and the how we should act. It depends on situations, intent. Are the questions asked just out of simple politeness and a lengthy response isn’t required or expected?

There are those who always apologize and those who seldom say it or mean it.

What are your thoughts about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment