Saturday, December 18, 2021

A Quest to Feel Loved

 

Last night in conversation, she said since she found God, she has been filled with an intense feeling of love. (I can’t remember her exact words.) I am glad for her, but my immediate feeling for myself was the pressures of what love entails, the gives and takes, and the fear I’m not willing to give enough or giving more than I get in return. (Does this also mean a part of me believes I’m terrible at love and don’t deserve love?)

Love has been an issue I’ve been in a quandary over for many years. I touch on it from time to time, then can’t find the right words and am unable to really figure it out, so I give up on it. I’ve been so badly damaged by past love that I don’t ever dare to fully trust love again, and I’ve built very strong walls to not let it in.

Oh, how do I explain? Yes, I know how to love. (Or do I? If I really knew how to love, and let myself feel loved, would I be having this issue?) It’s easy for me to say I love Pele-kitty, Leo-kitty, flowers, nature, birds, painting, writing, etc. It’s almost like I shy away from loving people.

But I do love many people. I say, “I love you,” to family and friends, and I truly mean it, and they tell me so in return. But there’s a feel of distance, like something is held back. I hold back. I’m the one who distances.

Part of it is a stupid belief that love (outside of family) and sex are intermingled. I don’t like feeling that way and in trying to figure it out, all I can reason is that, in my younger adult years, that’s what love seemed to mean. I’ve been trying to come to terms with this over for over 40 years. It even seems stupid to feel this way, and probably no one else sees it this way, but I can’t seem to get over this. Is there something within me that by believing this protects me from further hurt?

I want to be loved, to feel love. It’s not anyone else’s fault I don’t feel it. I’ve come so far in being me, accepting myself for who I am, and yes, loving me, but there’s a piece missing. That feeling of truly being loved and the warmth and the comfort it brings about. Logically I know others love me but emotionally I don’t feel loved. (And again, my mind says that’s stupid.)

Is it being alone? But I choose to be alone. I can’t imagine ever living with anyone else ever again. But can’t I live alone and still FEEL loved by friends and family?

 Who knows, maybe by writing about this occasionally, I’ll finally get it.

Oh my, and now I just got this revelation: This issue of not feeling loved escalated after my mum passed away Christmas Day 2011. That was when I was truly alone, and that the only person who really, ever totally loved me was gone.

2 comments:

  1. My own experience is that once I realized just how much God and Jesus loved me I had to love myself too. Loving others isn't always as easy but I do it anyway because it feels good. This doesn't mean I don't get angry and even cut people out of my life but I never stop loving them. God sent his only begotten son to come and save us. Jesus suffered more than any of us will ever understand to save us. How huge is that? I've been hesitant to let love in at times too, that's hard when we've been hurt so bad but if I don't go on taking those chances, I'm not really living my best life. We need bad to appreciate good which helps me to appreciate life, all of it, the good, the bad and the ugly. I love you Sasha, I'm glad you're my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very special to hear the heart of someone else who feels similar to my own heart. I so often want to shout it from the rooftops how much God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit , one in all, all in one... have changed my heart, my mind and my soul. My amazing, most gracious and merciful Father had reached out to me one day in a very gentle and humble little miraculous way... and I, (so thankfully), reached back. Every day He would show me more truth, answer my questions and in turn, gave me a pure love I had never known before. Finally, I can honestly say that I most certainly love myself... truly love myself, as I realized one day a few days after my little miracle, as I was vacuuming and spending time with the Lord... it hit me like a ton of bricks and actually made me stop what I was doing, almost paralyzed with truth... that the evil one had been lying to me all my life, telling me how stupid I was, not worthy of goodness, reminding me always of things I had done wrong to keep hanging guilt over me and keeping that guilt lingering in the back of my mind...and I was overcome with uncontrollable tears. That was the day the Lord gave me strength I had never known before and I was brave enough to yell out loud... "Get thee behind me Satan, I will never believe another lie you tell me again for the rest of my life"! I do believe that was the very moment my life changed significantly forever! I repented of my sins and vowed to never go back to my former life. I realized all the little "sins" I had been guilty of. Being judgmental, "forgetting" to scan a can of cat food at Walmart, telling little white lies, etc. I now know that my Father has gifted me with a love for others that I had never known before. He has given me so much... I am so truly thankful to Him and most especially I know now that my soul is saved and some beautiful day I will be so honored to be in His presence for eternity. I so wish I could give this amazing gift to everyone! Thank you Jesus so much for your sacrifice for our salvation. I am so thankful for Your love.

      Delete