Sunday, September 3, 2023

Reading art articles and how-to books

"Falling on a Calm River," 11 x 19 pastel 
Original reference photo courtesy Tara Holdner

The creative writing muses were at war with one another in my head this morning. Multiple topics were vying for attention. It was driving me crazy. Which topic to I write about first? All seemed to be shouting for attention.

Unfortunately, with so many interruptions, I’m just now getting to it four hours later, although some of the thoughts started last night. So, let me get my thoughts together and stir those muses again.

The night before, I had finished the Pastel Journal with reading Lisa Regopoulos’ article. I am impressed and have actually met her a couple times in person. Last night, I read more in Elizabeth Mowry’s book, “Landscape Painting in Pastel.” Her paintings don’t all speak to me because they tend to be too, what I call blurry, (which the proper term is loose.) But I know a lot of artists paint in that style. For me, I don’t get it. I prefer more realistic lines. Still, I admire and respect both these ladies.

There are many interesting tips and suggestions which might help me. However, I found myself getting a little confused with some of the explanations on how the artists work. Reading doesn’t give all the nuances of what a class would give. And, of course, they’re always promoting taking classes. But I don’t want to take classes.  I don’t want to leave the house, nor will I participate in an online class. (Past group classes haven’t always worked for me because I am adamant about not doing what everyone else does.)

I’ll also admit, sometimes when reading, I’m just in a hurry to get through the text. Part of it is because I am adamant about not doing exactly what other artists are doing. I have taken notes occasionally, but then I never review them. So, I am wondering… what can I do to remember suggestions that interest me?

If I don’t stop reading to take notes, often what I read slips away. Hmmm, maybe I need to read articles many times – like when learning in school and having to study. Maybe multiple readings of the sections that call to me will make them sink in. Rereading could help me fully comprehend what’s being said.

Perhaps I could better copy the suggestions I like to make easily readable printed pages which I can review often. With that, I could also look up terms I don’t fully understand. (Not going to an art school, I am missing some of the basics. Yeah, I’ve picked up techniques and such along the way, but the lack of basics sometimes haunts me.)

For instance, after all this time, I’m still somewhat confused on values… shades of light and dark. A lot of emphasis is placed on values. I feel I’m missing something in my understanding of this topic.

Then, too, here is another time-consuming aspect to take me away from actual painting and writing. But I feel I lose so many good points by not paying better attention to other artists. Then, too, wouldn’t some of those tips help me be a better painter? Not to be like them, but just to strengthen my own talent and style.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment