Saturday, August 26, 2023

Bad Days vs Good Days

This morning’s thinking:

These past few years many things have gone horribly wrong. There have been many, many struggles, days of feeling sad and lots of tears. Do the bad days outweigh the good?

Hmm… maybe it’s because when bad happens, it’s hugely, horribly upsetting and seems to follow me for days and weeks like dark clouds that won’t go away. And because it sticks, it seems to outweigh any good days.

Then when I think about good days – they’re not excitable, jump and down, extremely happy times. Because that’s not me. There are some truly joyful moments, but most days are just simple, good, OK days. Nothing to be truly excited about.

So, does it just seem like too many things go wrong because all the good days aren’t phenomenally good -- meaning the good days don’t stand out? Is it just that most good days are just simple, quiet, everyday days?

It’s kind of like bad times are a loud punch in the gut whereas most good days are quiet, do my work (whatever I happen to be working on at the time) days. I’m not into adrenaline rushes. I’m not one who needs over-the-top excitement, nor do I want that. I like the simple, quiet.

Simple things give me joy – like at this moment as I look out over the still dark brook. My attention is grabbed by a little hint of sunlight sparkling on one limb of a tree, wet from last night’s rain. It lasts only a minute, but as the sun rises higher, more sparkles shimmer on leaves showing of other trees up the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment