Saturday, January 28, 2023

Comments on “Rick Steves’ Art of Europe” series

"Winter Comes to the River" WIP pastel painting

Last night I watched the last two episodes of PBS’ “Rick Steves’ Art of Europe.” It was an eye-opening six-part series from the beginning with the art of cave dwellers to today’s amazing development of street art on the walls of buildings. The show just wasn’t about paintings and sculptures but covered architecture, too.

I love the history and it was interesting to see how art changed over the ages as the opportunity to create grew. Of course, some of the earliest of grandiose art was instituted by the pharaohs of Egypt creating grand art. Oh, those pyramids and statues with tombs full of art pieces.

And I’ve always been intrigued by Greek and Roman styles (having studied Latin for three years in high school). Much of the art was religious depicting various gods and goddesses. When Christianity came to the fore, besides bible scenes, the art included hideous depictions of what happens to nonbelievers.

Art became more grandiose with only the super wealthy and the church able to afford it, and while the magnificence is stunningly beautiful, I am turned off by it. To me, it’s too much. While it’d be fascinating to see castles for the architecture, I, personally, would not want to see all the opulence of the great halls, churches, and cathedrals. Too much to take in all at once with humongous works making individuals seem so small. (I know, that was the point.) It just seems to me that all that gold could be put to better uses. It’s just too much, as I said.

My favorite episode was the last one, Modern. This was when art became more about the regular, everyday people, their work, and landscapes. Art that peasants could afford. That’s not saying I like all styles, but that’s what I love about art. We can be individuals and establish our own styles. Art does evolve.

I wish they’d do an episode like this on art in the U.S.

PS: The painting I'm working on is from a photo reference courtesy Duane Wheeler.

No comments:

Post a Comment