Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Start and Stop with the Next Painting

Two stints in the studio this morning. My intent was to work on “Pleasant Foggy Morn,” but instead, I stood in front of this one. "A View Without Guile" work in progress:


I realized earlier, when looking at the original inspiration photo on the computer, the size was more of a panoramic, not square as the printed photos, so I moved the bottom tape up removing almost 2 inches to make the painting panoramic.

My goal for the day was to get the sky done. I love doing skies, but they’re always a challenge. For one, I don’t have the exact correct colors of pinks and oranges for sunrise/sunset paintings. And, no matter how much I look at the photo, the minute I pick up a pastel, my hand starts moving. Once more it’s like something else takes over and it doesn’t matter what the photo is like. Color goes onto the paper and the painted scene takes on a life of its own.

Even though I was only focusing on the sky, I put color below the horizon to start getting the feeling of what’s to come. (Yes, I know it’s off. This is just preliminary work.) I also did some work on the horizon, the mountains/trees … just beginning.

I returned to the computer to import the progress photo. When perusing the progress photo, I can see where I need to make adjustments. It’s always interesting how looking at a progress photo gives a different perspective than in looking at the actual painting.

I noticed the progress photo is not the same color as the original photo. The overall original is darker, and the sky and water reflections are more pink than orange. I forgot that my printer doesn’t print exact color on regular copy paper. However, as it's only for inspiration, it doesn’t matter if the scene is exact … unless I choose it to be so … but I like the original colors.

I have to be wary of another challenge. If I over work the sky to keep “fixing” it, it starts getting muddy looking (because of the paper I use).

This is a lesson I need to come to terms with, and one I grumble about all the time. I need to work quicker. Get the painting done and not rework it to death!

(Please forgive the reflections, I just wanted to get some color down … still needs lots of work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment