Monday, March 2, 2020

Going Out on a Limb with the Next Two Paintings

I’ve been indecisive of what to do next for a painting. Yes, I still have 20-004 on the easel, but I want to have next ones lined up. Do I do the next in the series of “The Hill” paintings I’m working on? Do I do a floral? Do I attempt the one of Pele and the wine glasses?

I can freehand the hill painting, but the floral and Pele, I need help with. I decided to tackle the floral first.

I went out on a limb to try something new. Nan had given me some Art Spectrum Colourfix sanded papers she didn’t want to use with her own paintings. My only other attempt at using something other than my favorite BFK Rives print paper was with Canson Mi-Tientes, of which I tried one painting with it and didn’t care for the texture.

Another first with the 9 x 12 Art Spectrum Colourfix was using a paper with an already colored background. In the logical part of my mind, I can’t see how a colored background will affect the painting as I layer on colors. But I decided to give it a try and chose dark green as I’m working with flowers.

I taped the paper to a drawing board, took measurements (with places taped it came out as 9 x 11 ¾.) I laid it flat on the counter and covered it with transfer paper. I positioned the 8 x 10 photo over the top and with a pen, traced the outlines of the flowers. (For the life of me, I can’t freehand draw flowers!)

I next put the board on a table-top easel and set up on the table. I discovered with the last two paintings, that it is easier for me to do all the sketching and most the value work sitting down with the board at more of an angle than I like when painting. I darkened the tracing lines which were very faint on the dark green background, then laid in value splotches. Not a bad start.

The next one to tackle was Pele and the Wine Glasses. I’d been trying to draw my beautiful kitty for years and just can’t capture her essence. I’m not a still life painter, but those wine glasses had me intrigued … and with her drinking out of one (it was water), I had to try. I hoped with the purchase of an Artograph Tracer, I’d be able to accomplish a decent initial drawing by tracing.

The original photo showed her drinking from the third of three upright colored wine glasses. There was a fourth lying on its side in front of her. While I am a realist painter, I’m not a photo realist and will take artistic license to move objects. Right off the bat, I decided not to do the glass lying on its side, and I wanted to move the three glasses over to the right so her face is to the middle glass … but I forgot, and as I was using vine charcoal to draw with, the lines were a little on the heavy side.

I did the initial tracing, then took the tabletop easel out to my regular table to sit while I worked on more drawing and to begin adding values. I figured I’d add a fourth wine glass to put her more in the middle and quickly drew one on her right.

Drat! What was I thinking? Four glasses won’t work. Next thought was to erase one of the glasses, but with the dark lines, I wasn’t sure if I could remove all traces. There was the added fact that the one I would erase was the one drawn the best. As a matter of fact, the one that looks the most poorly drawn is the one she’s got her face in. Go figure.

So, after not using the glass lying on its side, I decided to add one – facing the other direction. I free handed that one and it really doesn’t look any worse than the ones I traced. Oh, how I can laugh at myself even when frustrated!

So, now I had five wine glasses, a good uneven number … but my mind continued to reel. How did I trace three and not have them look the same? I went back to the studio to grab charcoal pencils and a couple different erasers and spent the next, what felt like hours, straightening and thinning lines, erasing lines that were off, using a ruler to make the glass stems straight … and still …

But you know what, I am not perfect, and my paintings don’t have to be perfect. And, just maybe, when I start adding color with pastels and all that, the painting may come together just fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment