Thursday, February 6, 2020

Inspired by Great Conversations


Soft snow continues to fall, and everything exposed outside is covered with a clean, fresh blanket. Water in the brook wends a dark path between ice shelves and around snow-covered ice formations. Chandelier-looking crystals hang from the bottom of some of the ice shelves with the bottoms of those resting on the flowing water.

Neighbor kitty Leo is visiting and watches from the back of the couch as Pele plays her new game of pink ping pong balls in an 8 x 10 x 4-inch box. Oh, those little balls rattle and bounce so nicely.


Words today continue to bubble out of me; a continuation of yesterday’s wonderful conversations. I don’t remember when I talked so much! Have I ever talked so much? I know I often have writing words gushing forth, but now it’s not just topics to write about but also to discuss.

The creative fires still burn brightly. Yesterday was first a breakfast with my very good friend and artist, Nan. There are not too many people I can talk art with, and even though our mediums, styles, and techniques are so very different, we still have the best discussions and share tips and suggestions. There are always opportunities to learn and grow.

Next stop was Tatewell Gallery in New London. I brought five pastel paintings to be matted and framed (four for me and one I’d sold to someone else.) Don and I discussed pastels and some of the other painters. He said pastels don’t seem to sell as easily as oils and acrylics.

I know the masters also painted in pastels sometimes. I wondered if people in general don’t see pastel as real art … believe me, it’s not easy! Then, too, how many people really care about original artwork. Is it that most people are happy enough to buy a cheap Walmart print to hang on their walls?

Another good friend, Annette Vogel, came in to see the painting she purchased. She said it was more beautiful than the photos showed on Facebook. Yes, the real thing always looks better! We discussed matting and framing colors with Don as this painting would look better with a colored mat.

We headed off to lunch, both of us excited to see how our paintings will look in a few weeks when they’ve been matted and framed. That finishing touch to the paintings brings them to an amazing level.

We settled at the Flying Goose Pub at a corner table overlooking the mountains. The scene out over the valley and up Mount Kearsarge was breathtaking and peaceful. We ordered sandwiches, then she pulled out her computer to show me the cover design she’s working on for my poetry book. I pulled out the manuscript I printed out on regular copy paper, and we discussed initial plans for the layout which she will be doing.

Then I pulled out copies of two other manuscripts for pastel painting memoir books I’ve started (one to cover last year and the other for this year.) These are in process and only at a show ‘n’ tell stage.

We enjoyed lunch, had delicious desserts and chatted about life and future plans.

Today my mind is on fire again. It’s hard to decide whether to work on the writing projects or go in the studio to work on the newest painting. Both muses are whispering, “Me, me; choose me!” in my ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment