Monday, March 14, 2022

Standing Firm, Strong, and Kind in My Beliefs

 

It seems many people’s tolerance levels are nonexistent these days. Everyone seems to take offense over every little thing. I’m no different. I find my stress levels rise through the roof, while my tolerance sinks lower and intense sadness overcomes me. I spend many days in tears when I get in this overthinking downward spiral. (I’ve always been accused of being too sensitive.)

That said, I still try to be kind, no matter what I truly feel. Notice I say, “try.” Sometimes, I easily “lose it,” especially if I get one of those scamming phone calls. At that point, any kind of tolerance goes out the window and I get downright nasty. (Then feel guilty… for a minute.) One time when I complained about these calls, someone said, “Well, those people need a job, too.”

What? So, it’s OK to take advantage of others? Does that go in line with some big business beliefs that if people are stupid enough to fall for false advertising and lies, they deserve it? Is it part of capitalism? (And I don’t believe authorities when they say all the scams come out of Russia. Many might, but I don’t think they all do.)

I’ll admit, too, the more I see and hear, the stronger my beliefs become.

For many years, I was a pushover. Whoever I was with who had the stronger personality and attitude, I’d go along with. I was always made to feel I was in the wrong, that my beliefs and opinions didn’t count, and many times I’ve been (and still now sometimes) made to feel others think I’m stupid.

So, I continue to pull back more and go out less. I just don’t want to be around many people anymore. I limit my contacts. Not because I don’t like people. Not because I don’t want anyone to disagree with my beliefs. I do it for my own sanity and safety.

However, I will always offer words of support when I can. My goal is to be as kind as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment