Monday, September 27, 2021

The Division of Humanity

Below is my personal opinion. I’ll admit, growing up in a small town in New Hampshire, I haven’t experienced some of what others have, but I have been treated with prejudice in the past, so I know what it feels like. I read books and watch lots of History Channel, Discovery, and PBS channels. I’ve studied human nature.

I was asked to fill out an income survey recently. There were basically two questions. The bottom half of the form was all about race and ethnicity which also listed various mixed races. I was totally turned off. Not because I think people shouldn’t be proud of who they are or where they came from because we all have a past.

What bothers me is it seems race and ethnicity is being shoved down people’s throats nowadays, and this further divides people. Everyone wants their own specialness (which is often expecting freebies and handouts). I know, in our own ways, we are all special, but, on the whole, we are all people, we are all human beings!

Putting us in certain categories is setting up sides to make one or more sets of people different from the other sides. They’re not even trying to be equal, no matter what they’re spouting. It’s not looking at what’s good for all people, but it’s setting up opportunities for one side to push their agendas onto all others. It further alienates people from one another. (This has been going on for years all.)

One of the sayings touted these past couple of years is, “We are all in this together.” My mind keeps asking, “If we are all in this together, why are groups of people wanting to separate themselves, make one set the ‘enemy’ and others the poor, woe-is-me people?” None of us should be made to feel ashamed of who we are!

Let me be clear, I’m not one side or another side. I look at everyone as human beings and look for the goodness in all. It doesn’t matter to me if you’re black, white, gay, Chinese, Italian… or whatever. It doesn’t matter to me what god or gods you believe in. Are you a good person?

Consider human nature. There are those who always want what others have, and who want to control the masses (by whatever means they deem fit to get their way). History shows us this has gone on since the human race began – no matter what country or what race or tribe of people. Tribes have warred against one another forever, and the “conquered” often turned into slaves – all over the world. And it still happens today.

I don’t believe race and ethnicity should be on any application. If I was running a company and needed help, it wouldn’t matter to me if the potential employee was of color or of a particular religious background. What matters is if the person is a good worker and will get the job done.

I know, it hasn’t always been this way, yet it should. Unfortunately, people are people; some good, some not-so-good. Some people will never change but putting people in categories due to race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc. escalates the problems causing further dissension.

We can’t change the past. What’s most important is to not hide it but learn from it. Tearing down statues or defacing them isn’t going to solve the problem. Perhaps, instead of erasing history, it’s more important to tell the truth about it … all sides, whether you believe it’s right or wrong … and even if it’s painful.

I’m not saying there hasn’t been a lot of past issues. Life isn’t perfect, nor is it always fair. I believe learning to understand what and why things happened is a huge step towards making changes towards acceptance and tolerance.

Maybe there are no real answers or one true way. Maybe it all comes down to what lies in someone’s heart. What it means to be an honest, decent, respectful, courteous, kind person. Are we asking the impossible?

My answer for myself is to live each day with integrity and whole-heartedness. I’m not perfect, but I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment