Friday, June 18, 2021

A June Adventure to Benson’s Park Part I

 


I saw a segment on “NH Chronicle” this past winter about the Old Woman’s Shoe at Benson’s Park, formerly known as Benson’s Wild Animal Farm. I’d heard it was turned into walking trails and felt a strong desire to go there. I’d been there once as a kid – all I recall is how disgusting the monkey house smelled! I brought my kids there once, but I don’t remember that day at all. I love walking trails, though I can’t walk much anymore. I figured I could do a little.

My neighbor, Andy Jacquet, grew up in Hudson and worked at Benson’s Wild Animal Farm in his teens. He’s told me stories, so I thought it’d be fun to invite him for the adventure and he could tell me more about the place. But I got busy, and time passed.

A classmate of Andy’s, Jim Leach, was into magic since he was about 8 years old. He’d perform for classmates and eventually landed a summer gig at Benson’s as their magician. He also loved the elephants and would participate in the parades. Jim later went off to bigger things, working various jobs, performing on the side, doing gigs for the Armed Forces Entertainment at places in the Middle East, and even being on Penn & Teller’s Fool Us show with a friend. COVID pretty much shut down some careers, and Jim moved back home to care for his aging parents.

Andy mentioned to him about my proposed trip, and he wanted to join us. I was inspired and chose June 16. The day dawned chilly but was supposed to warm up. We left for our hour-long or so drive about 10 a.m. and arrived at the park before 11:30 a.m. to find many cars in the parking lot and two vans with a line of kids piling out. So many people! Not what I expected at all.

I expected to find a quiet, fairly-deserted place with some building remnants and narrow dirt trails overgrown with vegetation. Instead, we rounded the corner after parking to find manicured lawns and paved paths. I took a photo of the map at the kiosk to peruse later. There were people walking dogs, pushing strollers, and ahead of us was a large playground full of kids. A few people were lounging in the grass surrounding the area. We even encountered older people, some walking with canes... like me with my walking stick.

We followed the path towards the Gorilla House which now also houses restrooms. On the left were two tall square beams and a flagpole behind. Andy said this was the 911 Memorial which we’d explore later. He said Jim used to perform on a stage just below (long before the memorial was there).

I took photos of the Gorilla House, and we made our way up the hill where, at the top, was the office buildings and Elephant House (which is now a gift shop and they’re working on creating a museum.) Across from the office sits the renovated Hudson Center Railroad Station which was moved there from its original location. 

 

Jim caught up with us as we went around the back of the Elephant House. Andy was telling me about the big cats that used to be here (I don’t remember which cats). I immediately liked Jim. He’s personable, down-to-earth, easy to understand, doesn’t have a better-than attitude from being an entertainer… I could listen to his stories all day.

I found it interesting to hear the guys say things like, that was where such and such used to be, and the other saying, “No, I think it used to be down there farther.” After 40 plus years, memory gets a little shaky, and with changes in buildings, paths, and landscape, it was a challenge for Andy and Jim to get the coordinates right. It’s amazing how foliage growth can make things look so different.

We went up a little farther to where the Woman’s Old Shoe sat among some trees. I had to time my photos between kids climbing the steps to look in the window. (Hmmm, I never thought to do that myself.)

We circled around and made our way to the office, which was closed, with Jim telling us stories of the owners. (Andy worked there a year or so before him and some time at the same time, and Jim worked there a few years longer. Andy was more into grounds keeping and operating rides or taking photos. Jim, being an entertainer, was more “in” with the owners and managers.) What fun getting a personal tour by two former employees!

Andy and I often commented how this place didn’t look anything like we expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment